12.16.2009

HOARDERS!

So my mom and I are obsessed with the show Hoarders on A&E. The show makes me physically ill, yet I can't stop recording it, watching it, and showing it to others.
Based off a Facebook post by an old high school friend, I set the DVR to record it. Not expecting much, I casually put it on one weekday a couple weeks ago while I was doing homework. I like to have mindless TV shows on in the background while I'm doing work. Somehow it actually does keep me focused.
I found that Hoarders is NOT something that can be casually on, however. It keeps my eyeballs glued to the screen. I can't miss a single shot of the horror and filth that these people live in.
The beginning titles of the show explain that "hoarding is a mental disorder marked by an obsessive need to acquire and keep things, even if the items are worthless, hazardous, or unsanitary."
Augustine was the subject of the first show. Augustine lost her dogs and her son more than 10 years ago because of the condition of her home. She has had no running water for 6 years!!!! The village is about to condemn her house if she does not comply with a mandated clean up. Her family members and workers come by to help clean out over 3,000 pounds of garbage!!! Some highlights from Augustine's home:

- Turntable for the microwave found in the middle of the landfill that was sitting in family room. She picked it up and put it back in.

- Dentures found at the bottom of the family room. She kept them.

- 2 CATS...flat as pancakes found at the bottom of the pile. Augustine's daughter predicted the cats had probably been dead for about 10 years.

When Berto came home from work, I immediately had to show it to him! We sat and ate dinner watching it, and I realized, it completely took away my appetite. I am not a squeamish person when it comes to eating. I can talk about pretty much anything while eating, or watching just about anything and continue to eat ravenously. But looking at Augustine's house, actually made me sick and unable to enjoy my dinner!

It's the shock factor, and I am obsessed! I highly suggest everyone watch the show! Some highlights from other episodes of season 2:

- Woman who had no where left to sleep bc her house was so full of trash, so she strapped herself in to a medical/potty chair at night.

- Same woman almost died because she fell out at night and was stuck in garbage. They found her wearing nothing but a snuggie and an adult diaper.

- Bathroom filled ceiling to floor, wall to wall, with USED adult diapers. Upon cleaning out the bathroom, workers found that the acid from her urine had actually eaten a hole through her bathroom floor!

- Woman who runs to her neighbors house to fill up a bucket to flush her toilet bc she has no running water.

- Pet goats eating through siding, insullation, and drywall leaving a big hole in bedroom wall. Possums and racoons now live in the bedroom instead of her.

- Man about to be evicted from his apt due to hoarding and roaches literally diving in a dumpster to find more "treasures."

1 comment:

luckygirl said...

http://insidetv.aol.com/2009/12/14/hoarders-psychologist-suzanne-chabaud-interview/?icid=main|main|dl2|link3|http%3A%2F%2Finsidetv.aol.com%2F2009%2F12%2F14%2Fhoarders-psychologist-suzanne-chabaud-interview%2F

just saw this on AOL news and thought you'd enjoy it!