10.17.2012

Serving My Civic Duty

While I could be posting about our fabulous Toddlers & Tiaras party, plans for Halloween, and our upcoming birthdays, or just more of Johanna's recent accomplishments etc. I feel compelled to share about my recent service to our country.
It was definitely an experience! Everyone goes to jury duty hoping to not be picked, and I was no different.
I received my first summons when Johanna was about a month old. I called them and was forced to mail in a letter along with a copy of her birth certificate to prove that I was unable to serve. I then received another summons in the mail in August. I called again to say that I was still breastfeeding my child and could not serve, but apparently you are only expected to breastfeed your kids for 6 months bc the nightmare on the other end of the line at the 1800-go-to-hell Cook County office indifferently rebutted that I had already been given a 6 month extension and that's all I get. So even though it was a particularly busy week at work, I accepted my fate.
As it got closer, I thought, this actually won't be so bad. I'll just go sit there all day. I can take my new iPad (it's for "work", at least paid for by them anyway) and stream Netflix or finally start the oh-so-terribly written 50 Shades of Grey books.
That was until I walked into the jury holding room that morning. As soon as I walked into the room and was asked what my profession was and was given a number, I had a feeling in the pit of my stomach. I'm going to get picked. I tried to ignore it. I told myself I was just being silly, there are hundreds of people in this room. But you always know when you're right about these things. Sure enough, within 30 minutes, my number was called and I was brought to a courtroom with 30 other weary souls.
The prosecution went first going around the room and asking us all the same questions, where we worked, where our family worked, if we'd been in a car accident before, and if we understood that this case had a lesser burden of proof than a criminal case so we had to "weigh the evidence and decide what more than likely happened." I will never be able to erase that phrase from my memory since he repeated it to all 30 of us with the exact same emphasis on "Ev-i-DENCE" doing an imitation of a scale with his arms raised on either side of his face, wrists turned up, wobbling.
I got the same feeling again in the pit of my stomach as they went around the room. I knew they were going to pick me! Sure enough, I was one of twelve names read some time after by the judge.
Luckily, the case was a short one and only required two more days of missed work. And I also found myself extremely interested in not only the case but on the goings on in the courtroom. During breaks I was fantasizing my career as a stenographer. Working 9-4 with an hour lunch break downtown to do some shopping and eat at trendy restaurants and going from court room to court room hearing interesting cases. These daydreams took place while I was in the jury room with the rest of my 11 peers as I, yes, pumped breast milk with only a nursing cover for privacy. Luckily these 11 peers all turned out to be some of nicest, most considerate, and unbelievably like-minded people that I could've possibly been lumped with when you consider all of the people that live in Cook County! I was lucky in that aspect.
We were able to deliberate and come back with a verdict and a monetary amount within an hour.
What was the case you ask? Little old lady turning left on a green light (not arrow), driver coming through the intersection the other way also has a green light and hits little old lady. Unfortunately for little old lady, the other driver turns out to be a psycho who has panic attacks onset by spiders, confined places, and the fear of there not being enough water bottles. YES! YOU READ THAT CORRECTLY!!! And apparently due to this accident, she still has panic attacks on a daily basis, was committed to a partial hospitalization program for 6 weeks for post traumatic stress 2 years after the accident, did 7 months of additional physically therapy after having met her "goals" within 3 visits, can't drive at night, and still sees a therapist once a week. All of this due to an accident that took place 4 years ago while going approx 30mph!!!!
Her slimy ambulance chasing lawyer actually had the nerve to ask for $288,000 for this crazy broad because of loss of normal life (past and future) and pain & suffering. I almost PFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTT in the courtroom when that amount was read. In the end, justice was served and though we did have to side with the crazies because granny was at fault for the accident, damages awarded were less than the defense offered, so I'm sure granny's insurance covered everything. The only thing we couldn't help her with was the lawyer fees which were probably extensive after 4 years of refusing to settle out of court. Crazy should've taken her money and run!

3 comments:

Estephania said...

I'm sure Granny's insurance company paid for the defense, so the defense made a nice hourly rate and all's well that ends well ;)

Unknown said...

i just received a standby jury duty but got out of it b/c i said i was still nursing (which i am) but mostly b/c it's the day of bella's preschool halloween party.. :) .. all i had to do was fax a written letter saying i was still nursing. i give it another 3 months before they send me another notice.

Mrs. Rhino said...

That makes me feel better that insurance paid for her lawyer fees too. I figured there had to be a limit or something!

Meg, good luck. Sounds like whoever you talked to was nicer than whoever answered the phone for me!