10.22.2012

Express Yourself!

So after rereading my last post, I feel the need to write more about breastfeeding/pumping and the workplace.

I think I sounded more horrified than I actually was about pumping in a room full of strangers. It actually didn't bother me too much. Physically I was covered, so whatever. But, I am also not a shy person.

I could only imagine what a modest mother might have gone through when being told it's her civic duty to pump breast milk in a jury room of 11 peers that she has just met. It probably would've caused more post traumatic stress than the plaintiff claimed she had!

While from most people I get sympathetic/understanding/good for you smiles when I am forced to pump in public places, there are also a number who glare, stare, and look at me like a crazy person! To those people my response is generally to roll my eyes and let them get over it since they are usually just in passing. Still, in the jury room, I found myself apologizing to everyone and profusely explaining that I tried to not be there.

WHY? Why should I apologize? Why do we all need to feel uncomfortable? We all know what's going on under there, but does it have to be so damn taboo?! We all can't be stay at home mothers. Most of us can't even get a decent maternity leave, but that doesn't mean we don't want to do the best for our kids. And if that means YOU have to feel a bit uncomfortable about what's going on under my nursing cover and what that whirring sound is, then DEAL WITH IT! Because guess what? As uncomfortable as you think you are, you are not the one with your shirt and bra hanging around your neck for the world to see while your nipples are being suctioned 3 inches long!

During pregnancy and in the hospital, we're encouraged to breastfeed and told how great it is etc. Yet, most of us have to return to work before we can even establish proper breastfeeding, before we have even emerged from a sleepless haze, and carrying your pump and ice pack all over the place is just a damn PAIN IN THE ASS! And I'm in a work place where I'm at least provided a private place and can take breaks when needed. I can only imagine the adversity moms are up against in lower paid, hourly positions or small businesses. Most women aren't informed that it's their right in Illinois to be provided a private place, not a bathroom stall, to express milk. Other women may be scared to boldly demand their rights in the workplace for fear of their boss's response, again, because there is so much taboo around the topic. I'm writing this, and I didn't even strongly enough stand up for my rights, as apparently this Illinois jury act, Ill. Rev. Stat. ch. 705 § 305/10.3, should've allowed me to be released from jury duty whether I already had a 6 month extension previously granted or not. And Illinois is one of the most forward thinking states when it comes to breastfeeding. I am shocked and appalled by the number of states that have no laws whatsoever regarding a nursing mother's right to pump in the work place. It's no wonder so many women stop breastfeeding and get formula through WIC. How many millions of women would not be doing that if they had a decent maternity leave and some support for breastfeeding in the work place? What is the National Debt again?

Most moms I work with didn't make it beyond 2 months breastfeeding and treat me like an anomaly. "I can't believe you are STILL pumping!", "I could never have made it that long, good for you!" It may sounds like I'm patting myself on the back here now, and well, so what if I am a bit? To anyone who's breastfed a baby exclusively for 9 months, 7 of which while working a 50-60 hour work week, I salute the hell out of you!!! It can take a thick skin and a strong will. And if you don't have enough confidence to give "fuck you" looks to all the staring idiots or enough balls to tell your boss that I need to pump NOW, then you get mommy-guilt-ed by the rest of society about why you stopped breastfeeding. Don't you know how good it is for the baby?

We've come a long way in the last century in equality for women. Instead of hiding at home while we are in "delicate condition", we now proudly display our baby bumps. But what about our breast pumps?





2 comments:

Unknown said...

love this post!! nice work mama rhina! i had to leave in the middle of jen's wedding to pump and someone asked me - isn't your baby almost 1!?!? and i just said, fuck yeah she is! btw, i miss you, my fellow milkmaid.

Estephania said...

Good for you, Liz! Even if people belong to states with backward views on breastfeeding/pumping, the health care bill requires that all women in any state be given a place to breastfeed/express milk for the first year after birth - and it cannot be a bathroom. I always thought about that when I was pumping in my office - I truly give major props to the working moms who have less than ideal circumstances in which to pump - I couldn't really complain about pumping in the privacy of my own office - at my convenience... but I totally admired their dedication!